This Dutch Butter Cake (Boterkoek) is a classic Dutch bake. As the name suggests, this recipe is rich in butter. This cake is easy to make, it just involves a few waiting steps before you can dig in!
Dutch Butter Cake (Boterkoek)
- April 13, 2020
- 1 hr 30 min
- Print this
- 300gr flour
- 250gr white caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 250gr unsalted butter, cold
- Pinch of salt
- Step 1
- Add sugar and flour to a bowl and mix until well combined.
- Step 2
- Cut the cold butter in small pieces and add to the flour and sugar. Mix with your hands until it becomes one ball of dough.
- Step 3
- Add the pinch of salt and mix this through.
- Step 4
- Leave it to cool in the fridge for a minimum of 1 hour.
- Step 5
- Preheat the oven to 180℃/356°F. Prepare an oven tray by covering it with baking paper.
- Step 6
- Place the dough in the oven tray and make sure it has the same thickness overall.
- Step 7
- Whish the egg in a separate bowl and glace the top of the dough. Optionally you can cut a pattern on top of the dough.
- Step 8
- Place in the oven for about 35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Step 9
- Make sure you cool the cake before cutting and serving (minimum: 3 hours).
Want to try a different bake? Try our chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies!