Homemade Tomato Soup
- January 3, 2020
- 45 min
- Print this
- 2 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 sticks of celery, roughly chopped
- 2 medium onions, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely sliced
- 1.5L chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 Large handful of basil
- 1 teaspoon of chopped rosemary
- 1 teaspoon of chopped thyme
- 800gr canned whole tomatoes
- 4 large ripe tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Optional: parmesan cheese
- Optional: chili flakes
- Step 1
- Heat the olive oil in a soup pan on medium heat. add garlic, carrots, celery, and onions and cook for about 10 min or until onions are soft.
- Step 2
- Add the stock, tomatoes, canned tomatoes, thyme, and rosemary and bring to a boil.
- Step 3
- When it boils, turn down the heat and put a lit on the pan. Let this simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Step 4
- Take the soup off the heat and add the basil stalks and leaves. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Use an immersion blender to blitz the soup to the desired consistency. I like mine still a bit chunky.
- Step 5
- Serve the soup while hot and garnish with some grated parmesan cheese and if you like your tomato soup a bit spicy with some chili flakes.