A smooth bechamel white sauce for lasagne or pasta bakes. A good bechamel sauce goes a long way and this one is perfect for your favorite lasagna recipe.
White Sauce (Bechamel)
- January 13, 2020
- 20 min
- Print this
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 850 ml of milk
- 1 teaspoon of freshly grated nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Step 1
- Heat the milk until it is almost steaming.
- Step 2
- Heat a saucepan with a heavy bottom on medium-low heat. Add the butter to the pan.
- Step 3
- When butter is melted, add the flour while whisking constantly.
- Step 4
- Cook for about 2 to 3 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Step 5
- Add the milk to the butter-flour mixture in small steps, whisking constantly.
- Step 6
- At this point, lower the heat to low and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. If any lumps form in this stage whisk the sauce vigorously and you will see the lumps disappear.
- Step 7
- Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg to taste.
- Step 8
- Use this white sauce in a variety of recipes.
This sauce can be used in the following recipes: