Bake these delicious Lemon Bars on a relaxed Sunday and slice in bars to have little snacks for the entire week!
- November 27, 2020
- 2 hr 30 min
- Print this
- 200gr butter
- 210gr sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 egg
- 1 vanilla bean
- 0.5 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 125gr flour
- 100ml fresh lemon juice
- 50ml water
- Step 1
- Preheat the oven to 180℃/356°F. Prepare an oven tray by covering it with baking paper.
- Step 2
- Beat 85 grams of butter, 40 grams of sugar and a pinch of salt for about 4 minutes in a stand mixer.
- Step 3
- Add 1 egg yolk, the flour and the vanilla extract.
- Step 4
- Place the mixture in the prepared oven tray and press firmly down.
- Step 5
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until the mixture turns golden brown.
- Step 6
- For the filling combine lemon juice, 50 grams of sugar, water and a pinch of salt.
- Step 7
- Scrape in the seeds of the vanilla bean and add to the lemon juice mixture.
- Step 8
- Bring to a simmer over low heat and stir to dissolve the sugar.
- Step 9
- Whisk 3 egg yolks, 1 egg and the remaining sugar in a bowl for about 2 minutes.
- Step 10
- Whisking constantly, add the hot lemon mixture to the eggs and transfer back to the saucepan.
- Step 11
- Cook this mixture for about 7 minutes over low heat and whisk constantly to prevent scrambling.
- Step 12
- Remove from the heat and add the remain 125 grams of butter to the mixture. Stir to dissolve.
- Step 13
- Place in a heatproof container, cover with plastic wrap and let cool down in the fridge for at least one hour.
- Step 14
- Once both the crust and filling are cold, pour the lemon mixture in the filling and let it firm up again for at least one hour in the fridge.
- Step 15
- Serve as bars and optionally top with powdered sugar just before serving.
Want to try a different baking recipe? Try our Dutch Butter Cake (Boterkoek)!