This is how to make the easiest Mushroom Risotto which is completely vegetarian. If you want to add some chicken you, of course, can but this recipe definitely does not need it!
- February 27, 2020
- 40 min
- Print this
- 1.2 liters chicken stock (vegetable stock if you want the dish vegetarian)
- 200gr mushrooms, chopped
- 200gr shiitake mushrooms, chopped.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 400gr risotto rice
- 2 glasses dry white wine (sauvignon blanc)
- 100gr parmesan cheese, grated
- Olive oil
- Step 1
- Heat the stock in a saucepan. Trim off the stems of the shiitake mushrooms and add those to the stock. It will add a massive amount of flavor.
- Step 2
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil into a separate pan on medium heat. Put in the shiitake and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the onion, garlic, and regular mushrooms and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Step 3
- Add the risotto rice and keep stirring. After about a minute the rice will look a little translucent, at this point, add the wine.
- Step 4
- When the wine has cooked down, add your first ladle of hot chicken stock and turn down the heat to low. Keep adding ladles of stock and keep stirring the risotto. Add a ladleful every time the previous ladleful has cooked out.
- Step 5
- After 15 minutes to 20 minutes, taste the rice to see whether it is cooked through.
- Step 6
- When it is cooked through, turn off the heat, add the parmesan and a tablespoon of olive oil and stir through.
- Step 7
- Put the lid on the pan and leave for 2 minutes, this will make your risotto even creamier.
- Step 8
- Serve the risotto with freshly ground black pepper and a grating of parmesan.
Want to try a different risotto? Try our Chicken Risotto with Cherry Tomatoes and Basil!