This Piri-Piri Chicken Tomato Stew is inspired by a beautiful chicken dish from Portugal. This stew has the same flavors as that dish but in a different form. I hope you like it and if you would like to have a recipe on the traditional Piri-Piri Chicken you can find it here!
Piri-Piri Chicken Tomato Stew
- February 18, 2020
- 1 hr 15 min
- Print this
- 3 red chili peppers
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon of smoked paprika powder
- 2 tablespoons of salt
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 500 gr chicken breast
- 1 carrot, cubed
- 5 tomatoes, cubed
- 1 onion, cubed
- 500 gr red potatoes, cubed (with or without skin)
- Olive oil
- Step 1
- Add the peppers, garlic, bay leaf, smoked paprika powder, salt, oregano, and red wine vinegar to a food processor and blend. Add olive oil until the mixture resembles a smooth marinade.
- Step 2
- Add the marinade to the chicken and let it marinate the whole chicken breasts. This can be done for 15 minutes and up to overnight. Marinating the chicken overnight will lead to juicy flavorful meat.
- Step 3
- Heat a soup pan on medium heat and add a swig of olive oil. Throw in the chicken along with all the marinade. Cook the chicken for about 5 minutes and then add the carrot, tomatoes, and onion.
- Step 4
- After 5 minutes add 1.5L of hot water and bring it to a boil. When the soup is boiling turn down the heat and let the soup simmer for 45 minutes with the lid ajar.
- Step 5
- Remove the chicken breasts from the soup after 45 minutes and let cool down on a plate.
- Step 6
- Use an immersion blender to blend the soup to the consistency you like.
- Step 7
- Add the potatoes to the soup and cook for about 15 minutes. Meanwhile when the chicken has cooled down grab two forks and pull the chicken breast apart in bite-size pieces.
- Step 8
- After 15 minutes check whether the potatoes are cooked through. When that is the case add the chicken breast.
- Step 9
- When the chicken is nice and hot pour the soup in bowls and eat.
Want to try a different chicken soup? Try our fresh Asian Chicken Noodle Soup!