This recipe for Slow-Roasted Beef Stew is perfect for this time of year. This is a classic autumn dish: slow-roasted beef in a delicious classic sauce!
Slow-Roasted Beef Stew
- November 20, 2020
- 3 hr 30 min
- Print this
- 1 kg stewing beef, cut into cubes
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 250 gr mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 70 gr tomato puree
- 200 ml red wine
- 200 ml beef stock
- 2 slices of gingerbread
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 4 cloves
- 3 bay leaves
- Bunch of thyme
- 25gr of butter
- Olive oil
- Step 1
- First, add half the butter and a glug of olive oil to a stewing pan.
- Step 2
- Brown off the stewing beef in the pan together with the flour and when browned remove it from the pan.
- Step 3
- Add the other half of the butter and add the onions, carrots and mushrooms to the pan.
- Step 4
- Fry for about 5 minutes or until the carrots start to soften.
- Step 5
- Add the tomato puree and fry for another minute.
- Step 6
- Deglaze (removing the brown bits from the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon) with the red wine and beef stock.
- Step 7
- Add the cloves, bay leaves and thyme to the pan and bring to a boil.
- Step 8
- Once simmering, turn down the heat and place the lid on the pan.
- Step 9
- Simmer at least two hours and up to 3 for super tender beef.
- Step 10
- After simmering, add the gingerbread to thicken the stew.
- Step 11
- Simmer for a further 30 minutes or until the stew has thickened to your liking.
- Step 12
- Season the stew with salt and pepper according to taste and serve with mashed potatoes or fries.
Looking for another beefy dish? Try out our delicious Spaghetti Bolognese!