This Thai Tom Kha Gai Soup will take you right to the streets of Bangkok! Make sure you serve this soup with some lime wedges so everyone can adjust the soup to their taste.
Tom Kha Gai Soup
- May 16, 2020
- 30 min
- Print this
- 2 shallots, diced
- Thumb-size piece of ginger, grated
- Thumb-size piece of galangal, grated
- 2 stalks of lemongrass, finely chopped
- 6 kaffir lime leaves
- 500 ml chicken stock
- 400gr chicken breast
- 200gr of mushrooms of choice, sliced
- 2 chilies, finely sliced
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 800ml coconut milk
- 2 limes
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Neutral oil
- Step 1
- Add a glug of neutral oil to a soup pan. Put the shallots in and fry for a few minutes.
- Step 2
- Add ginger, galangal, lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves in together with the chicken stock and bring to a simmer.
- Step 3
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Step 4
- Add the chicken breast and mushrooms together with the chilies to the soup.
- Step 5
- Bring to the boil and turn down the heat.
- Step 6
- Add the coconut milk and season with the fish sauce and the sugar.
- Step 7
- Simmer until chicken is cooked through. Keep stirring the soup to prevent the coconut milk from curdling.
- Step 8
- Serve in bowls together with lime wedges and you are ready to eat.
Enjoy this soup? Try our Asian Chicken Noodle Soup!